Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Birthing Story


Let me start off by saying that this was a tough pregnancy. I started off with being hyper-stimulated from IVF, really bad round ligament pain, Kidney Stones, nerve problems, Back Problems and really bad swelling of hands legs and feet. So needless to say I was ready for Tallis to be born, LOL! It was the day Justin and I had talked about ever since we got married. What it would be like. How would we handle it, most importantly how would I handle giving birth.
Well at 39 weeks I was ready. I could not sleep or walk and I was just plan miserable. My tummy had gotten SO big and it was pretty much all water. So I read where you could do foot reflexology to throw your body into labor naturally. SO I talked my very worried husband into it. It was a Sunday and Justin had gone to church with out me that morning and I was in so much pain that it felt like my tummy was going to just fall off from all the weight of the baby and water. I was living on the couch had been for quite sometime. So He gets home from Church and I said Please, Please, Please can you do the reflexology on me today. He said okay if it is safe I will do it. So we ate lunch and watched a movie. I believe I fell asleep on the couch and when I woke Justin asked if I wanted to go to Evening worship. I said no and I want you to stay home with me because I'm not feeling very good. So he sat back down on the couch and started to rub my feet and do the pressure points to help me progress. At this point I was 2cm dilated and 60% effaced that Thursday when I was checked out. He did pressure points for about thirty min then we headed for the bedroom. When I got up to go to the bedroom I had a sharp pain on my lower left side. I chalked it up to it being ligament pain. I laid down in bed for about 15 min. I felt like I had to go potty so I got up and had that sharp pain again for a split second and at 7:00pm BAM, SPLASH, GUSH!!! My water broke!!! Everywhere! It was like someone had turned the faucet on and I could not turn it off. It was the weirdest thing!! I looked at Justin and he looked at me and I said MY WATER BROKE!!! His eye were huge and said OH MY GOSH, WHAT DO WE DO??! He started running around the house laughing, yelling, jumping up and down. I kept saying it worked! IT REALLY WORKED!! He called the midwife and she told us to take showers, pack our bags and don't panic. DONT PANIC!? Really??? We waited so long for this and it was here! It was really here!! We get to hold our son and kiss him and tell him we love him and how mommy and daddy has waited so long for him! So I took a shower and did my make-up. At this time I had no contractions. Justin during this time was calling every one and there brother yelling Laura's water broke!! So Justin's mom was out of town and missed the flight for the night but his dad was in town and came to take us to the hospital. My mom, sister and her daughter were on there way. I was packing like a fool, making sure we were prepared for our journey and BAM! Contractions start at 8:00pm. I was having back contractions and they were awful!! I could not stand when they hit. I started practicing breathing but I could not breath when I was going threw them. How am I suppose to breath going threw this pain! They were 7 min apart and were getting closer each time. By the time we got to the hospital I was 5 min apart. They take me right into labor and delivery to check me out. I was 90% effaced and 3cm dilated at 9:00pm. They hooked me up to the machines to keep an eye on Me and Tallis. He was doing great. Strong heartbeat and by this time I was 3 min apart. My mom and sister show up for the party at about 9:30-10:00pm?? I can't really remember. But I do remember the horrible pain I was in. Now my contractions were piggy backing each other. First my back then my front. they were now a minute apart. It was horrible!! I was yelling for drugs about 3-4 hours into Labor. I said please help me!! I need something, anything!! I was about 5-6cm and 100% effaced. While we waited for the epidural they gave me some pain meds. I felt relaxed and high as a kite... It was great. I could finally breath... The next thing I knew, they came in and gave me an epidural. When they where putting it in I had a contraction and then Tallis kicked me really hard, so I jumped and I got yelled at... But she finally put it in and I felt it work within a min. The problem was that it worked to well and I could not move my legs and at this time they checked me and he was sunny side up. So I laid on my right side then left side, back and forth for a couple hours. During this time Justin got some sleep, I did not... Then all of a sudden Tallis heart rate had dropped during contractions, so they put a thing on top of his head to keep his heart rate on the monitor. They checked me out and said time to try to push him down into the canal. I could not hold my legs to push. It was like holding 1,000 pounds and the baby was not moving into the canal. So my nurse took the end of the bed off and made me sit up so that Tallis could drop. He finally did after an 1 1/2 it was about 4:30? Now it was go time again!! But I could not feel to push so my midwife slowed the epidural down enough for me to feel the pressure to push. I pushed for about an hour and my midwife said if we don't get him out in 30 min we will do a C-section. I said heck no, so I pushed so hard that I got ripped on the inside canal. I was now bleeding a lot and she could not stop the bleeding till he was born and he was not coming out. So my mid-wife pulled out the BIG mirror for me to watch my progression and for me to hold him in place till next push. I was pushing like a maniac, so much so that they told me to slow down. He was racing out of me and there was his little head popping out. I had my husband holding one leg, my sister holding the other one and mom holding my head up to help me push. Everyone in the room was so excited and cheering me on. I was so excited that I started to cry when I saw his little face in the mirror. But there was a problem... He had the cord around his little neck. They got it off and I was off pushing again and then his shoulder got stuck. My midwife had to reach under his arm and pull him out. They cut the cord and put him on my tummy. He gasped for air and was purple... They took him from me to get him breathing. they worked on him for 15 min and Justin stayed with him and kept reciting bible verses to him and held his little hand to get him breathing. Meanwhile I was being stitched up. I was so worried and kept yelling, is he okay??!! Justin reassured me that he was fine. At that time my midwife was telling me how messed up I was on the inside and that it was like putting a puzzle together. She told me I was shredded... As soon as she finished I delivered my placenta. It was HUGE! Just like delivering all over again. The birthing process was not what I expected and the recovery was long and hard, but worth it to be able to hold my little man... Justin was in charge of changing Tallis for a week and holding me up and walking me to the bathroom. I have never been so happy and in so much pain in all my life. We are so happy and feel so blessed to have him. Thank you all for your encouraging words and prayers. We can't wait to go back for the three we have left in the UK. Hopefully Tallis will have little brothers and sisters :)







No comments:

Post a Comment